Developed by the Eleanor Roosevelt Center at Val-Kill (ERVK) and our four community college partners, ECCEL is designed to prepare you to lead in all aspects of your life — personal, academic, professional and community. With a focus on self-discovery, skill development, experiential learning and global citizenship, the program will contribute significantly to your academic achievement and workforce success, preparing you to lead in a global society.
Please review the information below prior to completing your application:
Selection Criteria & Program Requirements
- Applicants must be a matriculated student at Dutchess, Orange, Rockland, or Ulster Community College and have completed at least 12 credits with a minimum 2.5 cumulative GPA. Students entering college directly from high school must have a minimum 2.5 cumulative GPA and be registered for at least 12 credits.
- ECCEL is intended to be a beneficial extra-curricular activity and valuable complement to your academic schedule. Successful completion of the program requires attendance and full participation in each of the following:
- Three (3) Weekend Leadership Retreats. Retreats run from Friday afternoon through Sunday afternoon and include overnight accommodations.
- Implementation of a campus-based group community impact project
- Participation in scheduled campus group meetings (meeting will be held at least once per month)
- Participation in two (2) spring workshops, usually lasting 2 hours each.
- Application and both references must be received by October 19, 2018.
- Applicants will be notified of acceptance by October 26, 2018.
- Accepted students will have the option to pay either a $150 program fee OR commit to providing 5 hours of community service prior to the January retreat.
- Before applying, you must consider the time commitment and be able to attend two overnight weekend retreats November 16 – 18, 2018 and January 25 – 27, 2019. Additional program dates to be determined.
- Complete application, short-answer questions and essay.
- Provide TWO reference forms and letters; references may come from faculty, community leaders and/or employers. The referral form must be completed by all references and uploaded with your application. Please download the Referral Form here (PDF)
Questions? ECCEL@ervk.org or call 845-229-5302.
College Campus Advisors
Joseph Reilly, Counselor
Janice Hulst-Murphy, Personal Counseling, Career Planning, Transfer Advising
Steve Harpst, Director of the Center for Student Involvement
Michele Iannuzzi Sucich, MD, Associate Professor, Department of Biology
Elizabeth Perez, Student Programs & Leadership Development Administrator
Meg Sheeley, Interim Coordinator of Campus Life