Developed by the Eleanor Roosevelt Center at Val-Kill (ERVK) and our four community college partners, ECCEL is designed to prepare you to lead in all aspects of your life — personal, academic, professional and community. With a focus on self-discovery, skill development, experiential learning and global citizenship, the program will contribute significantly to your academic achievement and workforce success, preparing you to lead in a global society.
Please review the information below prior to completing your application:
Selection Criteria & Program Requirements
- Applicants must be a matriculated student at Dutchess, Orange, Rockland, or Ulster Community College and 1) have completed at least 12 credits with a minimum 2.5 cumulative GPA, or 2) be registered for at least 12 credits and have a minimum 2.5 cumulative GPA from high school.
- ECCEL is intended to be a beneficial extra-curricular activity and valuable complement to your academic schedule. Successful completion of the program requires attendance and full participation in each of the following:
- Three (3) weekend leadership retreats held in Dutchess County, NY. Retreats run from Friday afternoon through Sunday afternoon and include overnight accommodations
- Implementation of a campus-based group Community Impact Project (CIP), including any meetings, activities and/or events connected with its execution
- Participation in scheduled campus-based group meetings with your advisors; meetings will be held at least once per month
- Attendance at a March day-long workshop and networking dinner as well as the ECCEL program graduation celebration, which will be held on a Saturday in June
- Application (including references): by Friday, October 18, 2019.
- Acceptance notification: by Friday, October 25, 2019.
- Accepted students will have the option to pay either a $150 program fee OR commit to completing five (5) hours of community service prior to the January 2020 retreat.
- Consider the required time commitment for this program. Make sure you will be able to attend all three weekend retreats (November 8-10, 2019; January 10-12, 2020; April 17-19, 2020) as well as two, day-long events in March and June (dates and times to be determined).
- Complete the application, short-answer questions and essay. You may complete and save your application responses as you go; when your application is complete, please use the “SUBMIT” button to submit your application to us. Please be sure that you have completed all sections of the application before you hit “SUBMIT,” as incomplete applications cannot not be considered for review.
- Ask TWO people to provide you with a recommendation and have them complete the referral form that follows and supply a letter of reference. References may come from faculty, community leaders and/or employers. The referral form must be completed by all references and uploaded with your application. Please download the Referral Form here (PDF). Letters of Recommendation can also be emailed to: email@example.com with “Applicant Name, School, Letter of Recommendation” as the subject line.
- Questions? ECCEL@ervk.org or call 845-229-5302.
College Campus Advisors
Joseph Reilly, Coordinator of Special Projects, ACT Center
Janice Hulst-Murphy, Counselor, Counseling Center
Steve Harpst, Director of the Center for Student Involvement
Michele Iannuzzi Sucich, MD, Professor, Department of Biology
Elizabeth Perez, Student Programs & Leadership Development Administrator
Meg Sheeley, Coordinator of Campus Life